Thursday, October 15, 2009

Writer's Workshop- How did you get your name?


This will be my first try at a Writer's Workshop prompt, but here goes...


Most of the prompts for this Writer's Workshop asked us to write all about how special our mother is to us and the story of giving birth to us and so forth. I don't have much to say about all of that. My relationship with my Mom is more of a friend type thing. She didn't raise me (her parents did) but I did spend Christmas with her every year and some time in the summers. She lives nearby but we only talk when birthdays or holidays are coming up. She is big into holidays.

She isn't a very motherly person and doesn't seem to care much for kids, so she doesn't come to see mine much and definitely doesn't babysit. As for all of the stories of my birth and stuff, she doesn't talk about her past at all, so none of that.

I do however know a couple of things about how I was named.
My first name- Misty was after a song that was popular the year that I was born. It was a blues type song called Misty Blue. I have heard it and it is actually a pretty cool song.
My middle name- Amanda was after Miss Amanda on Gunsmoke (or maybe her name was Miss Kity and her real name was Amanda, I forget)... Lovely. lol
I am not sure what I would have been named if I had been a boy. Never thought to ask.
I love what the Baby Naming Wizard book has to say about my name. It is certainly a dated name. The only people I ever meet with the name Misty are pretty much my exact age. It was quite popular there for about 5 minutes. There are two more Misty's living on my street and I always had others in my classes. I am not that fond of it, but it is my name. The Wizard basically says that the name has finally been left to just horses and strippers. lol!
This seems an appropriate post since I have been losing sleep lately over what to name our coming arrival. We have so much trouble with boy names, we have 3 months left and don't seem near making any decision. I laughed at our friends who didn't agree on a name with either of their daughters until they were at the hospital both times, but now I can't really say much, because we may be in the same boat this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails