Sunday, October 25, 2009

Parenting Trends 2009


I just read this article on the
Top Trends in Parenting in 2009

It was on the Parents Magazine website. I would link to it but I think you have to join and sign in to read it.Anyway, it was written by Katie Herrick.


When I read the title of the article, I figured it would be quite a laugh to read. After all, I have never agreed with most trends in our society, especially in parenting. I think they often clash with Christian values and my general way of thinking.I was pleasantly suprised however to find that I agreed with most, and am personally advocating some and the others don't bother me a bit! Feel free to add your own!

1. Grown-Up Nurseries

With the economy like it is, it makes sense to furnish the baby room with things that fit into your home decor, not necessarily just that one room. I can dig it, I am definitely doing that with this baby, because his room will be the former computer room, and one day will return to that when he moves in with his big brother.

2. Anything Obama's kids do or wear

I could care less. This is probably my least favorite trend. Really. Who. Cares.
3. Homemade Meals with a twist Less eating out, more cooking but with some pre-made elements for busy families. Sounds good to me, cept, I opt for trying to tune out those pre-made elements... but if I were working....yeah.

4. Use-Your-Imagination Play

Parents are opting for toys that can be used in multiple ways and that foster more imagination in play. Instead of a character from a movie, get a generic cowboy toy or help them build a fort, etc. Love it! Heck, my son is sitting behind me on the floor playing with his trucks and some bags of beans... lol. Not my idea, but I am glad he can take everyday objects and make them into stuff. It is what I did growing up and I have an awesome imagination!!!

5. BPA Free Pregnancies

- Already in on the scary BPA stuff. Trying to cut out any exposure, but it is difficult. I want to know when companies are going to stop putting it in the cans and bottles? What do we have to do to convince them to stop poisoning us? They actually package pre-made baby formula in cans with BPA filled lining.By the way, don't ever eat canned tomato products! They are the worst for BPA leeching.
6. The Nature Vacation

- camping, cheap stuff. Sounds great except I like sleeping in my own bed anyway. Still.....I am always for simple.

7. Med-free Remedies for kids-

Yes! The less medicine you give kids (or yourself for that matter) the better! Kids are having more reactions and complications from cold medicines these days than from the colds. And the medicines don't shorten the time sick, they just help with symptoms. The article suggests -chicken soup... honey (for kids over the age of one of course) homemade nasal sprays, and other non medical helps.

8. The No-School Preschool and Homeschooling in general!
Woo Hoo!!!!! Awesome! The article talks about how many people are flocking to take their kid's educations into their own hands. Love it! I can't agree enough with this one. Obviously, that is our plan too and there are a million reasons why it is a great idea and why it is good for our kids. This article names a few of those. I am so glad this was in the top trends!

9. A relaxed Approach to 'Breast is Best'

Obviously, nobody is saying that you shouldn't breast feed. It is still the best way to have a healthy baby. This trend is simply a relaxing attitude toward people who have trouble accomplishing this goal. I know many women who have had trouble breast feeding and have really beat themselves up over it and gone to great and painful lengths to try to continue it. Sometimes it is ok to admit that is just won't work and move on.

10. Mom-Centered Baby Showers

Sounds ok! Nothing against this one either. Baby Showers are awesome, either way.

11. Omega-3's for Pregnant or Nursing Moms

This one is great. I already know Omega 3's are great for our health. The article says that it really connects with smart babies... but while trying to eat fish to get this, you have to find a way to avoid the mercury problem. Not sure where tunafish falls in there.

12. Facebook is the new Mommy Group

Heck Yeah! If not for Facebook this hermit would go nuts! Woo-hoo!

13. Strong, Solid Baby Names

With the economy the way it is, they say it effects baby naming trends. We are stuck in the mire of baby naming right now, I am sure the name will be a solid one, since we are having a boy and probably won't get too creative. We shall see.

14. High Design, Low Price Maternity Wear

Sounds good. Second-hand will do for me!

15. Elephants
Ok, I love and study trends in Graphics and packaging... I hadn't noticed the elephants getting hot, but if they say so, ok. Elephants are cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails