Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A quick fix would be nice.

As I am running around cleaning the house/taking care of toddler requests such as juice and snacks etc.... I sometimes stop dead in my tracks to locate a tiny irritating thing. A hair on my arm. One of the really long hairs from my head. (I just realized a week or so ago that my hair is now about an inch from my waistline in length, though I never really intended it to get that long) My hairs are everywhere in this house but I think it is kinda funny that if I get one wrapped around or stuck to my arm it bothers me to no end, I have to find it and detach it before going on my way.

I was just thinking that I wish it were that way with other things in life. If there was something amiss in my daily routine or my parenting skills, if only I would know it immediately and be able to fix it before it caused any trouble.

I guess I thought of it that way because I am at one of those stages with my almost 4 year old where I wonder how much damage I have caused to his habits and personality already in my parenting. He has a lot of angry moments and I can only think that it is directly related to my temper. I do not really have much of a temper, but when he repeatedly disobeys I do let my frustration show. In theory I believe in disciplining with a quiet spirit and that it is better to simply apply the punishment without any sign of aggravation. This is what my husband and I strive to do. But what really happens is we are constantly reacting to his behavior with irritation.

I have always been a big fan of the Duggars. When we were without tv for a year and a half recently I missed seeing the tv specials about them on Discovery Health. We have had television back now for a month or two and I was just watching an episode where they celebrated Michelle's birthday. (she's the mom of 18 kids and one on the way in case you didn't know) Something happened which I took note of. Her sister said to her on camera that she had never seen Michelle upset and was still waiting to see it some day.

I know that the Duggar children are well-behaved and well-disciplined. I know that it hasn't been that simple to make them that way, but I bet a lot is owed to Michelle's temperment. I would like to be exactly like that. To never get my feathers ruffled and to always have a smile on my face throughout all parenting situations. I wonder if that is possible. Maybe if I got up every morning and prayed to that end. I keep wondering if it is too late already with Micah and if it is too late with Allie simply because she will be getting the bad habits from him.

Anyway, I know we all have areas we need work, I guess it is at least good that I know where I am lacking and want to work on it.
Good luck with all of your struggles too.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by and commiseration :)
    Now it's my turn - I seriously need to work on my tone as well. It's not that my temper is awful, but it doesn't take much for me to get to that point where I just shake my head after and wonder if I'm the reason Fynn's starting to say "No" in an angry tone, and telling his sister to "go away" in an also angry tone. I hope part if it is a phase all kids go through, but I also remember Michelle Duggar and how calm she is all the time. Something to work towards I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant commiserating.. not commiseration... mommy brain!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails