Sunday, January 31, 2010

US bound orphans in Haiti




Not just a news bite. These stories have become real to me.


I usually pay attention to world news like I heed weather reports on days when I won't be leaving the house all day. I just don't care.


Sounds calloused, or dumb and uneducated, I know. But I used to care. I used to keep up with the world and what was going on in it, but then I just got overloaded with all the bad stuff and politics just made me angry. So for my own sanity and peace, I left the world of current events and chose to focus instead on my own little world.


So I have been on a hiatus from news for a few years now. I checked in for the months leading up to the presidential election, hoping my candidate would win, but when he didn't- I checked back out again.


Anyway, lately the outside world events have come to me, via some people I know and the blogs that I love to read.


I am refering to the Haitian earthquake and it's effects on the orphans who were already in the process of being adopted. A couple in our church had been in the process of adopting a little girl from Haiti. They had been working on this for about a year I believe when the earthquake hit. I believe they were worried at first that the disaster would actually postpone the workings with the government and all, but as the United states got involved, many adoptive parents were delighted to hear that the children were granted Humanitarian Visas which would allow them to come to the US right away. The couple in our church were excited, but it turned out to be a bit tricky. In the end, they did get their little girl home, and in an added miracle, another baby girl too!


I have also come across a couple of other blogger ladies who had been in the same situation and who have gotten the children home. However, there is one couple who are still waiting. Actually, the husband has flown to Haiti and is living in the embassy there along with the little boy he is trying to get out, but they are sleeping on the floor at night and eating military rations while waiting for the ok to leave. You can read about them from the wife's blog here- Debra's Blog


Appearantly, the wonderful things the US was doing to get the kids out quickly are being thwarted by UNICEF, which it seems wants to throw a wrench in the works possibly because they believe orphans are better off in their own culture. You can read the explanation that I read here- Kristen explains.

There are not too many things harder than waiting when the outcome is unsure and your heart is all tied up in the matter. I pray for these orphans to be home soon and the families who are waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails